Saturday, October 31, 2009

Halloween of Champions

Greetings cyber (and not-so-cyber) friends!

I've thought long and not-so-hard about starting a blog and I guess I've finally gotten bored enough to actually follow through. It's not that I think I'm so interesting that people would have any interest in the day-to-day goings on of my life. In fact, I think quite the opposite of that. Really, I miss writing and I'm terrible at keeping any kind of journal so I thought that I could use a blog to share the interesting or even painfully mundane parts of my days while giving me an opportunity to be creative and start writing again. Maybe you'll get something out of it, maybe you won't. Hopefully in the meantime I can offer you a good laugh and a decent suggestion here and there!

So it's Halloween and I'm sitting alone on the couch with 4 dogs (mine, my boyfriend's, and his roommate's two) watching a horrendous performance by Lady Gaga on SNL and listening to the sounds of canine snores. I'm too much of a wimp to watch scary movies by myself and frankly, getting dressed up to walk the streets of downtown just didn't seem appealing to me tonight. Halloween has not ever been one of my favorite holidays. As a kid, my mom made all of my costumes. I certainly can't remember all of them but there are a few that are unforgettable. Like the clown with the shoes so big I couldn't get up and down people's stairs while trick-or-treating. I had to walk sideways for half the night. Or the time I was a pair of dice. I had a "die" that I wore and the other one was bolted onto the side. I was lopsided so we removed the second "die" and I went as one. Unfortunately, I couldn't hold my sack of goodies out in front of me because my arms were sticking out the sides of a large cardboard and spray-painted box. I spent that evening swinging my pillowcase at the people who were distributing candy with the hopes that they would just put it in for me...wait, that's what she said???

But really, my parents faithfully dressed us up every year in something creative and eye-catching. The problem was that I really never (and still don't) wanted to catch anyone's eye. Now I just don't love to dress up and celebrate. Don't get me wrong, anytime that I have participated in Halloween festivities I've had a blast but it's just not something I look forward to every year. I'm thinking that next year I might have to begin hosting a costume party and make that a tradition to look forward to.

Alright well off to enjoy my Cottonwood Pumpkin Ale and watch Ryan Reynolds on SNL. I hope everyone enjoyed their Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment